With summer winding down the fall season will soon be upon us. Although fall is a special season, there is something particularly wonderful about summer that we just can’t experience any other time of year. Here’s how you can make the most of these last few weeks of summer in Huron County.
Visit a Seasonal Business
It is not uncommon to find seasonal businesses in Huron County, especially among our shoreline communities. When tourists and cottage-dwellers return to reality, and life goes on as usual, the need for beachwear and fare seems to go with it. Fortunately, these businesses tend to keep their doors open for these last few fleeting days of summer and some a little bit longer.
So get your triple scoop ice-cream cone from the Grindstone General Store or any of these other seasonal delights before it’s too late! Check out the seasonal restaurants in our article, “Your Guide to Eating & Drinking in the Thumb” for a final taste of summer, then go through the list below for even more last chance places to visit or shop.
Beer & Wine
- Dizzy Daisy Winery - Bad Axe
- PAK’s Backyard - Port Austin
- The Tap Room at Bird Creek - Port Austin
- Thumb Brewery - Caseville
- Blue Moon Ice Cream Shoppe - Port Austin
- Dairy Queen - Caseville
- Grindstone General Store - Grindstone
- Port Hope Chill Zone - Port Hope
- Rybak’s Ice Cream Store - Grindstone
- Sebewaing Dairy Barn - Sebewaing
- The Anchorage - Harbor Beach
- Twisters - Port Austin
- Bay Port Fish Company - Bay Port
- Brew Moon Coffee House & Gallery - Caseville
- Cottage Outfitters - Caseville
- Indigo Mood - Port Austin
- Lemon Tree Marketplace - Caseville
- Port Austin Kayak - Port Austin
- The Cove- Port Austin
- Town & Country Casuals - Port Austin
- Walt’s Meat Market - Port Austin
- Wednesday's on Washington - Port Austin
The Shops at Village Green is a real summer treat in the heart of Port Austin. Check out these pop-up shop businesses before it's too late!
With the kids soon returning to school and many of us trying to get back into a “normal” routine, working in one last camping trip can be a great way to unwind from all the excitement and wrap up the summer. Besides, summer isn’t really over until the end of September. One nice thing about camping in September is that the campgrounds tend to slow down a bit so you can enjoy all that makes camping so wonderful. Or find a themed Halloween event for camping, and decorate that camper site. You won’t need to travel far either. You will find some great options for camping in Huron County.
Nothing says summer more than a long day spent on the beach, playing in the sand, and swimming in the lake. So what are you waiting for? There are a number of fantastic beaches in Huron County and the weather isn’t going to stay like this forever!
Fishing in Huron County in the summer is a highlight for many anglers, and with many of the local marinas operating into early October, you still have time to plan a trip. Alternatively, you can reserve a fishing charter for you and your friends. Click here for a list of local fishing charters in Huron County.
Listen to Live Music Outside
- Pigeon Band Shell
- PAK’s Backyard Extend the Weekend: Music in the Backyard
- Live on Stage! - Port Austin Farmers Market
Take a Lighthouse Tour
Lighthouse tours run every Saturday from 9 am to noon with weather permitting through the end of September
- The Pointe aux Barques keeper's house and tower have been completely restored and contain historical artifacts from a bygone era. The Museum is open to the public free of charge and donations are kindly appreciated to help fund the Society's projects.
Attend an Event
Fresh out of late summer plans in Huron County? Then mark your calendars for one of these end-of-summer events!
- Cheeseburger in Caseville - August 11th-19th
- ABC Day - Port Hope, August 19th
- Nature’s Dangers at the Huron County Nature Center - Port Austin, August 19th
- Quilt Show at the Port Austin History Center - August 19th-27th
- Annual White Rock School Museum Picnic - White Rock, August 20th
- Thumb Gospel Music Convention at Bay Shore Camp - Sebewaing, August 24th-27th
- Sebewaing Lions/Rotary Softball Tournament - Sebewaing, August 25th-27th
- Great Event Raffle & Party for the Port Austin Community Players - Port Austin, August 27th
- Mushroom Identification at the Huron County Nature Center - Port Austin, August 26th
- TAG Silent Auction - Port Austin, September 1st
- Bats of the World at the Huron County Nature Center - Port Austin, September 2nd
- Art In The Park - Port Austin, September 2nd - 3rd
- Salsa Tasting - Harbor Beach, September 2nd
- Mama Ruth Festival - Ruth, September 3rd
- Labor Day Bridge Walk - Caseville, September 4th
- Kinde Polka Festival - Kinde, September 15th-17th
- Detroit Up North - Port Austin, September 15th-17th
To make the most of the last few days of summer spend some time outside. Put your toes in the sand, take one last kayak trip to Turnip rock, or canoe trip down the Pinnebog River. Walk around downtown Port Austin and observe the different art installations, like this one from the Detroit Institute of Arts Inside/Out Program. Visit portaustinart.com to find more art in Port Austin. Another idea is to take a hike at the Huron County Nature Center or spend the night watching the stars at the Huron County Dark Sky Preserve in Port Crescent State Park.