New year, new you? With a new year upon us, many of us will strive to better ourselves mentally and physically. Huron County offers a number of opportunities for you to improve your life and health.
If your resolution is to get healthy this year, refer to some of the suggestions below. We've put together a list to help you enrich your mind, body, and soul right here in Huron County.
According to a study from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, spending time in nature for just 90 minutes can boost your mood. Huron County has much to offer in the way of nature. From over 90 miles of coastline to hundreds of miles of rolling fields and backcountry roads, there are many opportunities to go outside and enjoy the best nature has to offer. Below are a few ideas:
- walk in the sunshine, snowshoe, cross-country ski, snowmobile, go for a hike, bundle up and check out the Huron County Dark Sky Preserve at Port Crescent State Park, or check out a winter event in Huron County. Also, take a peek at our 16 Fun Indoor & Outdoor Activities To Do in Huron County this Winter article.
- experience the brilliant colors of autumn by going for a hike or walk through the woods, rake the leaves and jump in them, or go to a pumpkin patch or football game. Also, check out our Fall Activities and Events article for more ideas.
Exercising is good for your mind and body. Creating healthy habits like incorporating regular exercise into your weekly routine is important all year round, not just in January! Learn more about exercising opportunities, check out our list of Gyms/Fitness Centers in Huron County and check out our article, 16 Fun Indoor & Outdoor Activities To Do in Huron County this Winter.
Get a Checkup
When was the last time you had a check up? There is some debate on whether an annual checkup with your doctor is necessary. However, most, including the American Medical Association, would agree medical checkups should be performed at the very least every five years. Check with your insurance provider and schedule your checkup with one of these physicians and doctors in Huron County. As for dental care, many recommend at least an annual visit, but like health care, the amount of care you require is based on your unique needs. Click here to find a dentist in Huron County. You might also consider having your eyes checked by an optometrist.
Consider Natural Alternatives
Just like spending time in nature can improve our mood, natural alternatives like health foods, oils, herbs, and more can benefit our well-being. Check out this list for natural foods and alternatives in Huron County.
Get Help Where You Need It
Let's face it, no ones perfect. We all need help sometimes. It can be extremely beneficial to talk to a professional and learn more about the areas we struggle most in our lives. Here are some ideas to help point you in the right direction.
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Thumb Area Unity Council (visit their website for a list of meetings in Huron and Tuscola County)
- Counselors in Huron County
- Churches in Huron County
- Vocational Training & Employment Services
Do Something Nice for Someone Else
Have you ever felt a sort of “rush” after doing a good deed? That sensation is known as ‘helper’s high’ and is produced when your brain releases endorphins, the feel-good chemicals of the brain. When you do something good for someone else, your brain’s pleasure center lights up and releases endorphins producing this high. We bet you didn't expect this one to make our list, so here are a few "good ideas" you can do for someone else in Huron County.