We have found a few interesting Ghost Towns in Huron County, Michigan. Here is a list that we found in our research. If we are missing any please let us know we will add them to our list. Happy hunting!
Bach - Sebewaing Township
Located at Bach & Bay Port Rd.
First Post Office was in 1886-1889
Church constructed in 1912
Famous Jewish Colony
Located 5 miles Northwest of Bad Axe
Only had two survivors
72 members, colony lasted 20 years and was founded in the late 1890’s
Glencoe - Dwight Township
Located approximately 8 miles West of Port Hope
Post Office from 1901-1914
Located about 11 miles Southwest of Bad Axe
Once a lumber town, previously a large Indian camp
Has writing on rocks near Cass River now known as the Sanilac Petrolglyphs
Originally called Thompson’s Corner by Francis Thompson, who settled there in 1861, he was the first postmaster in 1873
Post office shut down in 1904
Named after a town in Ireland, meaning “river overflows”
Linkville - Winsor Township
Located on Kilmanagh Rd. between Caseville and Notter Rd.
Cemetery on Stein Rd.
Located 8 miles from Port Austin
First Sawmill built in 1853, failed in 1865
Grist mIll built in 1856
Sturgeons were caught in the creek there
In 1870 two salt wells were built, shipped to Detroit, Toledo and St. Louis, discontinued in 1886 from cost
Cemetery remains there today
Ora Labora Colony
Located near Bay Port
Settlement was from 1847 - 1865
Emil Baur was the leader of this religious socialistic experiment, there were 288 signers of this society
Ora Labora means work and pray, these colonists did both but war caused them to fail.
Pinnepog (2 towns) with the same name - 5 miles apart
When these two towns decided they wanted post offices, they had to switch names so one became Port Crescent and the other Pinnebog.
So let’s talk about Port Crescent first!
Located where the Port Crescent State Park is now
Port Crescent closed in 1936 when the last business closed
It had two sawmills, a grist mill, and fisheries
Pinnebog - located at the junction of W. Kinde Rd. and N. Pinnebog Rd.
Walter Hume settled there in 1841 he built a hotel and trading post
Among the buildings that were there: Blacksmith shop, cheese factory, church, dry goods store, farm equipment store, flour mill, grocery store, hardwarde store, and school house
Today the town has a few of the buildings left but almost all have been tore down
White Rock Village
Near Huron and Sanilac County Lines
Settled in 1836
Formerly Rock Township, was annexed to Sherman Township in 1893